NEW WINTER CALENDAR COMING SOON! Sign up to our newsletter to find out more!
Ebru, also known as water/paper marbling, is a UNESCO heritage-listed traditional Turkish art of creating colourful patterns by dropping and splashing paints onto a tray of water-based viscous solution with special brushes. These patterns are then transferred to a retentive piece of paper. It’s a mesmerising world due to the nature of the used materials. The end result of this work with its own spirit and nature actually looks like the magic itself, since each pattern and so does the result is unique and it’s impossible to replicate it.
This workshop is led by Eda Tevrizci who is an experienced ebru artist. The class will consist of two parts:
It will commence with a brief history of ebru and introduction of traditional materials and then continue with the techniques and application process of traditional ebru patterns/ designs and transferring them on paper.
It will be a hands-on experience for all participants where everyone will get a chance to produce a series of unique ebru artworks, that will reflect their inner vision and creativity.
Participants usually find this session as a captivating experience, in which they observe the brightness of colours on the still water surface. This workshop will be a meditative process of creative transformation of colours and patterns. Therapeutic nature of the practice helps with relaxation of mind and reveals positive energy.
What you will learn;
• Brief history of Ebru art
• Knowledge of traditional Ebru materials
• Knowledge of preparing the earth pigments and the size (viscous water-based solution as one of the key elements of Ebru art)
• Exploring the techniques and application process of some traditional and contemporary Ebru patterns/ designs and transferring them on paper
What you will get;
• Once the workshop is complete, you will acquire basic knowledge to practice the whole process of Ebru by yourself such as preparing the pigments and water; applying different patterns and techniques onto water and then transfer them to paper. You will understand the nature of Ebru materials and gain the ability to use them properly.
• All materials will be provided
• You will create at least 7-8 different patterns of your own artwork piece along with a marbled product (a coaster set of two, greeting cards or fans)
What to bring;
Your creativity and enthusiasm!
What to wear;
Wear old clothes/shoes since it can become a little messy
Who can benefit;
This workshop is appropriate for art lovers, explorers, life enjoyers and who are open to learning new things - no experience needed. It’s also a great fun for kids, motivational and stress relief event for employees and recreational activity for elderly.
Eda Tevrizci is a professional Ebru artist based in Melbourne since 2016. Completed Masters of Digital Media/College of Arts-Victoria University in 2018. She has a Bachelor’s background in Sociology and eight years of experience in education sector. She started to work on traditional Ebru art early in 2015 which stole her heart immediately and has been practicing it since then.
She conducts Ebru workshops and short-term courses in Melbourne for art lovers who are open to a unique experience—paint on water surface.
Apart from workshops, she also creates tangible Ebru designed textile, stationery and home decoration products all of which reflect her vision of life.
For Eda, Ebru is a lifelong learning journey and she is keen to share her expertise with new generations while trying to achieve more each and every day. She loves the freedom and endless possibilities that Ebru offers and always looks for new and creative ways to adapt it to the new forms of today’s world.